Saturday, March 28, 2009

More pysanky

I've wanted to do a black-and-white pysanka for my dad for years. I'm sure I'm not following the tradition exactly right, but I chose the symbols that most represented what he stood for and this was the result. Black is not necessarily the death color in pysanky symbolism, but (wiki source) represents constancy or eternity, the center of the Earth, the darkest time before dawn. I like the idea of doing a new one every year. Since his birthday is near Easter, the fusion seems right. That can be an awful lot of eggs, but I can just mail them off to different people who loved him. Hooray for huge Mormon families! The candidate list will last more than my lifetime.(Hey, Natalie, check out this, from Gucci's fall 2008 line)

2 comments:

Snippety Gibbet said...

Oh my gosh, Valerie! How long have you been doing this???????? This egg looks so perfect!

I got my supplies today and am all geared up to give it a try.

jan

Natalie said...

I love 2 tone eggs. They seem so simple and so dramatic at the same time. I need to get my eggs up. Love the Gucci things, don't know that is what I would wear exactly, but so interesting to see them draw from folkart. Not something I would expect from a top of the line fashion designer. Just shows what I know about fashion.