Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fabric for me


Sew, Mama, Sew! is a very cool site (oh-so-well-chosen fabric & idea-packed blog & new forum) that I really under utilize. Because I'm not sewing much these days. They're doing an awesome thing right now called Guest Fat Quarter Packs. Craft blogging superstars (Alicia Paulson, Amy Karol, Hillary Lang...) pick a selection of fabrics for a great FQ pack and you can buy them or comment to win. I think my Orla Kiely bag win will make the stars think I'm already too lucky to win again (I love that purse more than I should), but this is the comment-to-win I left this morning on Hillary Lang's FQ selection and don't you think those sparkly stars should align again, anyway? Yum.

I have a new house & a baby boy, so will use the fabric with ease! But I do think that the best use for Hillary's selections would be one of her patterns.

Back story: I'll admit I'm a wee wonderfuls collector (I have nearly all of her embroidery & toy patterns & two of her dolls that she sent to my daughter last year when meeting a fellow craft artist--imacraftartist.blogspot.com--was her Make-A-Wish Foundation wish, but we couldn't arrange our schedules before Marian's bone marrow transplant). My favorite of Hillary's patterns are the Handsewing for Fun series. The trifold cards are so sweetly designed and the little animals simply delicious. Hillary's blog was the first craft blog I started following religiously, 3 years ago when I moved to a small town with no crafting friends and my daily internet craft fix saved my sanity. I fell in love with her work when I was searching for tiny felt animal patterns and found a delightful small felt crowned turtle among her flickr albums (I think she linked it in a craftster.org post) and I spent quite a bit of time trying to sketch a pattern to replicate it. When I saw that a pattern for the turtle queen was in the works, I was really-too-excited-to-be-a-grown-up about it and bought the series right away. My daughter went to her first day of first grade with the sweet turtle buddy in her backpack for luck (the other got an equally wonderful butterfly, http://purplepetunialife.blogspot.com/2007/09/back-to-school-with-wee-wonderfuls.html).


Which is the very long way to this point: both the turtle and butterfly Handsewing for Fun patterns use scraps of cotton for visual interest on their shells and wings, respectively, and using Hillary's FQ selections for those wee and wonderful panels would be darling and I swear if I win to do it and show you pictures. The end!

No comments: