Sunday, January 27, 2008

just a short political post, I promise

Caroline Kennedy wrote a guest op-ed in the New York Times recently (I read it the text here) that articulated for me why I am increasingly leaning Obama. This line (okay, couple of paragraphs...I couldn't just copy the line over here in the end. It wasn't complete) is true to me:

Sometimes it takes a while to recognize that someone has a special ability to get us to believe in ourselves, to tie that belief to our highest ideals and imagine that together we can do great things. In those rare moments, when such a person comes along, we need to put aside our plans and reach for what we know is possible.

We have that kind of opportunity with Senator Obama. It isn’t that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960.

Most of us would prefer to base our voting decision on policy differences. However, the candidates’ goals are similar. They have all laid out detailed plans on everything from strengthening our middle class to investing in early childhood education. So qualities of leadership, character and judgment play a larger role than usual.

I've recrafted my conclusion sentence a bunch of times and it just keeps being trite and full of buzz-words. I can't speak for the nation, I guess, just for me. And now have re-written that personal paragraph a bunch. What she said. Remember the title of his last book: The Audacity of Hope.

No comments: