Monday, April 30, 2007

April, come she will...May, she will stay...

I just walked out the recycling for tomorrow's 4 am pickup, and was wide-eyed for the 10th, 18th time today with the profoundity of spring. Amazed at the mildness of the evening. Air drifting with lilac. Seeing clouds drift across a nearly full moon through the branches of our 70 year old sycamores, which suddenly have leaves. Our whole yard seems to know that tomorrow (today!) it's May.

Back aching with today's wool washing. If I wasn't so crazy-busy (self-imposed), then I'd write about the idyllic farm we visited on Saturday to "help" with sheep shearing. I took lots of pictures that I'm hoping will at least hint at the glory of the setting. We were gifted 3 fleeces and, after a crash internet-course on wool processing, have begun work. Never thought I'd have so much fun picking out poop! My long-suffering husband didn't even raise an eyebrow when I moved the whole production inside after dark and sorted on a tablecloth while we watched American Experience's documentary on the Mormons (I thought Kathleen was great). I have lovely mind-pictures of the girls and I carding and spinning and knitting our summer away... bids on carding combs in on eBay...their enthusiasm is already waning.

and oh, man, is just 1 fleece a lot of wool...

No comments: