Saturday, December 29, 2007

teacher gifts

Our school got new magnetic white boards this year to replace the chalkboards in all of the classrooms. I noticed that the girls' teachers had few (and hodgepodge) magnets, so we decided on a set as Christmas presents. It's an old idea (I think Family Fun featured it 3 or 4 years ago and I've seen tons since then), but a good way to share wee drawings.
I started with strong ceramic magnets, then traced a series of them in the clear margins of scrap paper to make templates for the girls to fill. They chose their five favorites (mostly pencil and watercolor) and trimmed them. I used E6000 silicon glue (which starts super stinky, but dries acid-free) to paste drawings to magnets, then squished on clear glass half marbles. The marbles give a cool fish-bowl effect to the drawings. I had forgotten how the edges get lost; next time we'll remember to leave larger margins. Packaged 'em up in ...you guessed it... origami boxes. Candy cane striped with cheery red yarn.
Marian's drawings for her teacher include the 3 class turtles: Hop, Pop, and Yertle. I also gave her teacher a turtle surprise mug to thank her for her patience and flexibility with my daily visits to the classroom to feed Marian during her math lesson. She is a blessing.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I am tickled that my pillow made your blog. I also wanted you to know how much I loved those special thank you notes. Actually everything in your blog has made my mother heart happy. You are such a great girl. I am constantly amazed by you. Love, Mom