Saturday, December 29, 2007

celebrating crepes

Christmas was as lovely as I had hoped, and highlighted with the last-minute arrangement that brought the marvelous Nyborg family to our home to share a salmon dinner & an easily . Nyborgs were our best friends during the second Provo, UT era of our lives. Then we headed to Nashville & they to Florida, but our changing lives have just recently brought us a quick hour-and-a-half on the freeway apart. We met and bonded on the back row of the chapel with our wiggly babies who were happier finding a bit of floor space there, and the first two years of those babies' lives featured a lot of camping and good food together. Jeri introduced us to the perfect tradition of Sunday night crepes, and I still use her recipe. The photo above shows my plate this morning, with my preferred filling (and also shows one of the sleek forks from my new husband-gifted flatware!). Audrey dumps a cup of powdered sugar and a bit of coconut on hers. After a bit of other-recipe crepe frustration, Jeri's recipe (from her brother who was a missionary in France, if I remember correctly) is slick and reliable. I make it from memory now, but I believe it's the original:

Jeri's Sunday Night Crepes

Heat pans to medium (on my stove, anyway), lightly spritz with olive oil. Or butter heavily :).

Mix in large bowl:
1 c. flour (substituting wheat has been a sticky mess, so it's bleached for me)
1 t. salt
1/4 c. sugar

Mix the liquids:
1 c. milk (I use powdered milk to rotate my food storage)
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
2 T. canola oil

Add liquid gradually into dry ingredients, starting with a small amount and whisking it constantly to keep smooth. Add a small amount of water or milk to a pourable consistency. Scoop about 1/3 c. of batter into a hot skillet and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Flip when the edges just start to brown and cook lightly on the other side.

2 comments:

sd said...

Holiday crepes...yum yum good memories. Merry Christmas from Nashville.

vfg said...

thanks. we miss you...