Thursday, October 4, 2007

GBLUES fall festival

I thought it would be a great idea to involve the university education students in our elementary school fall festival planning, since, well, the so-valuable help they already give is why our lovely little school has its pretty location on the university campus. We hope that we help them, too!

I am using this blog post as an interactive "sign-up". I will post pics of the crafts I need helpers for, and descriptions of game ideas that would like leaders, and you can use the comments section to sign up for what you would like to do. Please indicate the activity number, then what you will do to help. From there, I will communicate with you directly to work out specifics.

I know the festival is nearly a month away (November 2nd), but please, only sign up if you really and truly can be relied upon to participate. And if you get chicken pox or are otherwise unavoidably engaged, I hope you will let me know as soon as you can. Then this collaboration will be a good experience for all of us, and we (groupspeak--university students and lab school PTO) will be able to help each other out more in the future. Moralizing lecture over! On to the fun stuff. Crafts first, then games.

Crafts
I like to make things. I especially have a crafting crush on Waldorf education sort of handwork and all of the associated lovely natural materials, and those sorts of nature crafts were, I thought, a perfect match for a harvesty fall festival. I exercised restraint and am not hoping to see kids hand sewing that night (my great love & frequent teaching-to-a-group nemesis), but still decided on some lovely gluing and poking options. For each of the following crafts, I have procured most of the supplies, but some prep work is still needed. Each could use a leader to design a sign, finish prep work, and help set up in the afternoon on November 2nd, and 2-3 helpers for that night to help the festival attendees with their lovely little project.
1) clothespin dolls: I have all of the supplies, but scraps of fabric need to be cut & ready for the clothing. This is mostly a gluing project (tacky glue in bowls with Q-tips are my preferred group tools), and easy, with very sweet results.(leader via e-mail, helpers still needed)
2) acorn babies: a gluing project, though the necks will also need tying & I'm sure kids will need help with that. The wood beads need to be pre-glued to the acorn bodies to provide a stable (and less frustrating) base for the kids to attach the rest to, and some acorns may need a bit of sanding at the base to stand flat. Felt for the hoods will need to be cut.

3) teasel hedgehogs: This easy project involves trimming the teasel (a road-side weed's seed head) a bit, then poking in pins for eyes and nose. I've gathered the teasel and purchased pins, but the pins are bright yellow now & need to be dipped in black paint, or otherwise colored...
4) cork boats: I'm collecting corks from parents over the next few weeks. That night, the kids will split them lengthwise and then construct the catamaran and add the leaf sail with toothpicks. A couple of gutters will be set up outside for races after construction. They're very efficient little people-wind-powered crafts! Leaves for sails will need to be gathered, and volunteers that night to run the races outside and supervise construction inside.(leaders via e-mail, helpers still needed)
5) autumn crowns: A paper sample is pictured above, but we are making these purposefully temporary, with real leaves. Prep work needed: cut strips of poster board, gather leaves and perhaps press flowers to glue on that night. Or other glue-able nature bits like maple keys. I'll have gold glitter to sprinkle on, too. Crown fitters and craft-glue watchers needed that night.
6) squawking chicken: This is a funny little craft that is well-tried and popular. It could be converted easily to a turkey to be more seasonally appropriate :). A plastic cup is pierced with a thumbtack and a string threaded through the hole, tied around a piece of toothpick to hold one end of the string in place inside the cup. When the protruding string is gripped with a bit of damp sponge, and the sponge tugged along the string, the cup amplifies the sound, and it emits a startlingly loud squawk or gobble. A stack of plastic cups needs to be pierced, sponges cut into little pieces, strings cut, tissue paper cut in strips for feathers, & beaks cut. That night, the kids can glue on feathers and beak & draw on eyes. Some will need help threading their strings. (leader via e-mail, helper still needed)
7) finger puppets: already being done by a parent (something similar; I just posted a pic of one of ours), in conjunction with a puppet theatre for spontaneous kid shows during the festival. If you would like to help that night, some helpers would be welcome!

Games
The following are games that we thought would go well with the fall theme and/or we had at least part of the supplies for. We are providing all of the prizes. Unless otherwise noted, the supplies for the game will need to be gathered and the game set up the afternoon of the 2nd. Some already have a sign from previous (long ago) fall festivals. If not, I'll note that in the description, and one still needs to be made.

8) treasure hunt: fill a kiddie pool with autumn leaves & hide prizes among them (I'll provide). That night, take tickets and police the search.
(leader via e-mail)

9) clothespin drop: drop old-fashioned clothespins from a height into a vessel--difficulty dependent on age, ie, coke bottle, mason jar, or bowl. There is a set of stairs to a portable stage already at the Henderson Gym that we can use for the children to climb up and drop the clothespins from. I have clothespins you may use.

10) fairy photos: a grandparent has painted these awesome cut-out boards--the type you stand behind and your face shows through a hole and from the other side you look like whatever is pictured on the board. We'll need a couple of volunteers to help position kids, take their photos, and write down names. The current plan is just to take digital photos and deliver them at school on Monday. If they want them mailed, then charge another ticket or something like that. Sign needed.
(covered!)

11) pumpkin bowling: use a pumpkin "ball" to try to knock down butternut squash "pins". I love this idea. Buy the pumpkins and squash (we'll reimburse you), set up the lane, administer that night. Sign needed.
(covered!)

12) spray away: a game invented by one of our parents for a birthday party, it's ready to go (squirt ping pong balls off of golf tees), but needs volunteers to man it that night.

13) football toss: Hang a tire (I have one in my yard that may or may not someday be a swing) & let kids try to throw a football through it. Volunteers that might be able to catch wayward throws & avoid accidents are highly sought after ;). (covered)

14) hoop shoot: The hoop's already in the gym. This one is easy. Again, catch-worthy helpers a plus.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will help run the football toss. I work for an automotive shop while at home and I can easily get a tire. My only question is where am I going to hang it? But count me in for the football toss :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to help with the Fairy Photos. I can take pictures or help with whatever else is needed at that booth. Do I need to bring my own digital camera??

Anonymous said...

I would also like to help with Fairy Photos. I can do whatever is needed at that booth. Are there any other materials needed for this booth?

Anonymous said...

I would love to help with the Fairy Photos... I guess once we get all the groups worked out, we'll figure out who is bringing/making what?

vfg said...

thanks so far! Football toss & fairy photos covered.
Fairy helpers: I'll send an e-mail to all of you, which should help you communicate as well.

Anonymous said...

I would like to help out with the Treasure Hunt. I can collect the leaves, and do whatever else you need me to do to get the activity ready, and I can man the booth. You don't need me to get any prizes??? Is there anything else you need me to get?

Anonymous said...

I would like to do pumpkin bowling. That sounds so fun. I have no problem purchasing the pumpkin and squash. Will there just be one lane?? Just checking to make sure I buy the right amount of "stuff". I will also create a sign for the game.

sarah loudenslager said...

I can help with the clothespin dolls. Do I need to purchase the fabric, glue or q-tips? If not, should I just come early to set up and prepare cutting the fabric? Also, should I make a poster/sign?

Anonymous said...

We would love to help with the treasure hunt, however, we saw that other people have already offered to help with that event. We are basically willing to help out with anything - so just let us know what you need the most and we'll get started !

Mindy said...

Will you come and do a fall festival for Monte Vista? Pleeeeeeeeze?! You are just way too cool for your own good, sistah! Make sure you take pix and report on how everything went!

Anonymous said...

Hi sorry this is so late...I would like to help with Hoop Shot, but I've noticed that you still need helpers for the cork boats, so I would gladly help with that instead if needed to. Thanks!

Kenno said...

football toss is good.

Charenn29 said...

great post, I really like it. Thanks for posting. :)