Thursday, October 22, 2009

acorn craft: pumpkins

The first acorn craft of the season is a reprisal of the acorn pumpkins Shannon & I did a couple of years ago. I saw the idea in a Family Fun magazine. In that first batch, I was displeased with the paint; we used craft acrylic and it didn't adhere well to the acorns. This year, I used spray paint, and was also careful to polish the natural velvet off of the pumpkins to provide a better surface. Acorn polishing was, for me, highly addictive, and Abby and I surprised ourselves a bit with our buffing passion. I sorted out an assortment of sizes for a nice little tableau. I badly want to let Reuben play with acorns, but he's still in the instantly-pop-in-mouth stage (and is more frantic about it than either of his sisters ever were), so I have to just give him short, oh-so-monitored visits with my stashes. Doesn't he look like he might share his mama's acorn love, given the chance?Getting glossy orange.
I left them out to dry, and half were stolen by that chipmunk of ours!
(the next batch were more carefully monitored).
Since I like everyone to play, I forced my brother into a crafty corner, too, and he handily utilized one of our cracked friends:Oh, such a crafty family are we!
(D is in medical residency now, and planning a wound care fellowship, so this is totally up his alley :)!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those! Especially your brother's. But how do you get them to sit up so nicely? We have thousands of acorns but I think they are more narrow than yours.

vfg said...

Some acorns have much better bases than others & our neighbor's are fantastic for their "nicely sitting" quality. Someday soon I'm going to study the oak varieties so I can identify them by their acorns...

I have also sanded acorns flat, which works quite well--they are thick enough at that end.

Cynthia said...

Oh.My.Goodness. I almost shrieked at the cuteness of those pumpkins. Our acorns are quite small but maybe they'll work.

Excellent tip for a flat surface to stand them on. Now to find some glossy paint.

Snippety Gibbet said...

I love your brother's pumpkin. Hehehehe.....

We stayed in Hancock, Md. a couple days this week. Our hotel had about a bajillion acorns on the lawn. I thought about your giveaway when I saw them, and wondered what the winner would do with them.

jan

stgraham said...

Hey your acorn cuties are posted on the crafty crow. How cool is that!!!
I am very impressed!

Anonymous said...

I love that you blame the hatchet job to your brother -- maybe the acorn goblins will come after him for the murder instead of me. He HE Ha HA !!

ELG